Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 20: Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.

1. When I was . . . 5 or 6 (Not sure), we were on a family vacation to Oregon and then to California. While at California we went to a pool where I stood by the side while my older brother, and cousins played and swam. I remember being jealous that they could swim and I did not know how. My younger (by only 2 months or so) was even swimming. And so, being rebellious and upset, I climbed by my self up a very tall slide, (I at least remember it being tall), and slid down. Nope. Still didn't know how to swim. I popped up gasped, and dipped back down. I felt as though no body knew I was there as I thrashed about, trying to get some air. I was terrified. I did not know where the edge of pool was, where I was and if I'd be able to get back up. I remember being under the water, reaching  up when a hand grabbed mine, dragged me, (only a foot or two) and placed it on the ledge. I was then pulled above the water. There, climbing onto the ledge, and turning around to haul me up was Tim, my older brother. He had seen me, (he was literally the only one that saw what had happened), gotten in the water and pulled me to safety. I remember a very strong feeling of wanting to give him something. Haha. It sounds funny now, but the gratitude I felt as a 5 year old was about more than I could bare. I am still grateful. Who knows what could have happened.

2. Many of my memories are from the woods and forests that we lived near in North Carolina. I really miss them. There just aren't forests like that here in Utah. They were beautiful. We would explore them for hours. Play hid and seek, do dangerous stuff, throw rocks, become snipers and ninjas, build fires, swing from vines, get stung, skin knees, watch the moon, catch fireflies, climb and climb and climb, and fall in love with the world around us. It seems now like something Mark Twain could have written. It gave me a love of nature and of exploring and in my adult life I want my kids to have those same experiences. It has greatly shaped who I am. These truly are some of my favorite memories. I was lucky to have the childhood I had.

3. My Dad took Tim and me on a late night walk once, on the "Greenway" in North Carolina. I don't remember who saw it first, Tim or me, but there was a small flash of light and then it went away. My dad, while we were on a bridge, leading over a small creek, stopped us and crouched. "That could be a homeless man with a cigarette." At the time, I had no idea why it would light up randomly, but I was scared nonetheless and ignored my ignorance and questioning mind. We saw it again and he held us, not sure if we should turn around or continue one. Finally, he began creeping forward. I didn't want to go. I had seen homeless people before, found their clothes or "homes" in the woods, but for some reason, I thought this one was dangerous. Perhaps because it was dark. It turned out to be the moon reflecting on the water of the river. I really never knew if my dad was just joking with us or not. I suspect he was now, but at the time he freaked me out pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment