Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Favorite Science Fiction Books

I feel like this is going to be a hard list to do. There are so many good ones out there. But I will try to reduce the list to the top 15, (in my opinion) best science fiction (or speculative fiction, if you will) books. Here we go:

1. Anathem by Neal Stephenson

2. Hyperion (Cantos) by Dan Simmons (4 books)

3. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

4. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

5. Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons (2 books)

6. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

7. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

8. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

9. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

10. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick

11. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

12. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

13. To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

14. The Road by Cormack McCarthy

15. Dune by Frank Herbert

There you go. The best sci-fi, in my opinion. There are so many more good ones, but I feel like these, (as far as I can remember) are the best. (I feel like I'm missing some, but I'm going this at work, so this is what I can remember. Please, give me your list. I'm interested in what I may be missing.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list! I listen to books on cd almost every day and I wrote down the ones I haven't read yet. You might have already read these, but if you haven't I recommend: I am Legend by Richard Matheson -- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury -- The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (3 books) -- anything by H.P. Lovecraft (mostly only wrote short stories) -- and a prequel to Dune (3 books) called Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, Dune: The Machine Crusade, & Dune: The Battle of Corrin (in that order) all by Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson. I think almost all of these are available on cd @ the Provo Library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Thanks for the list. I'm definitely going to have to look into those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any list that includes Philip K Dick will always get my respect. I've noted a couple in that list that I have never read so thank you. If I may make a recommendation of my own I would suggest Casualties of War by Bennett R. Coles. Fans of military fiction and sci fi may have read or heard of Virtues of War already and this is an excellent follow up novel. I don't want to put out any spoilers so I'll just post here a little of the synopsis from the website. Definitely worth picking this one up. http://www.bennettrcoles.com/works/casualties-of-war

    "With a colonial rebellion put down, the veterans of Expeditionary Force 15 can return to Earth. But the welcome they may have expected isn’t waiting for them. The State is on a witch-hunt for someone to blame for the recent war. The Astral Force has placed incompetents in charge of developing a new super-weapon. Families and friends have no concept of what happened amongst the stars. And subtle forces from the colonies are secretly at work."

    ReplyDelete