Friday, March 30, 2012

Misconceptions on Evolution and Truth

There was a time, (maybe a little less than 4 years ago) where I was very adamant about the religion/evolution argument. I fought on blogs and with some people in person regarding the issue of evolution. I did not have as clear of an understanding of evolution as I do now, but at the time, I think I was on the right path.  However, in the last few years I've put evolution arguments on the back burner and focused more on climate change. I had forgotten about the ignorance people have when it came to evolution and its role in religion.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a lecture on science and faith with Dr. Heath Ogden and Dr. Heaton. They presented it well, I thought. One memorable thing Dr. Ogden said was, "I am a husband, a father, a brother . . . an evolutionary biologist, and a Mormon." He then went on about understanding God, and how he can see through this world God's work and glory and that through it he can understand God better, saying, "God is a husband, a father, a brother . . . an evolutionary biologist, and a Mormon." It was a great comparison and thought provoking view of God. Dr. Ogden spoke of evolution, and truth, and seeking. How evolution is abundant in life and how the church is not, was not, and should not become an entity that is against science. Quoting Brigham Young who said that all truth, (he specifically mentions science) is part of our doctrine.

Dr. Heaton spoke for a shorter amount of time, but was every bit as powerful. He spoke on how our faith, our testimonies can be strengthened by this. That knowledge is important and something that should be sought after, and how important questions are. He spoke less on evolution and more on trusting that the Lord knows what he is doing, but also trusting that he has left it up to us to determine what is truth and what is not.

They were amazing talks. At the end there was a question and answer section. One kid raised his hand and asked about the idea that the Earth is made from many other planets, and some of those planets had dinosaurs on them. It was obvious that he believed the Earth to be 6,000 years old. It was disappointing that after the talks he still could only understand evolution on a small scale. This idea that only parts of evolution are true and others are not is so far fetched it makes me want to scream. And while this person, I am sure had good intentions but this ignorance and this being thrown to and fro from any wind of doctrine needs to be put aside. I'm not trying to pick on this kid who asked an honest question. I am trying to get the point across that he should never have been so misinformed.

Maybe what it boils down to is having an open mind with science and religion, and when you have questions consult both, study, search out answers and do everything you can to obtain truth. Having an understanding of what truth really is.

2 comments:

  1. well instead of just clicking on the link to lead me here, first I typed in chrispeck.blogspot.com. And the first thing I thought was " Oh there's a close up shot of what he looks like. (?)" And then I thought "I didn't realize he was 42 years old". And then I thought "Chris has picked up some new interests". And then I followed that blog, but hesitantly. And then I went back and clicked on the link you provided and it brought me here and I was all "phew".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!!! Oh wow! I just went to that blog. Man, the difference an 'a' makes. Well, I'm glad you found your way over here and I'm glad I'm not 42.

    ReplyDelete